Kim Yawitz, RD
Have you been hitting the Chipotle curbside a little hard lately? Save money and calories with these protein-packed meal prep burrito bowls!
One thing I love about this recipe is that it’s super easy to customize. I have a ton of leftover turkey breast, so I’m going to use that in place of the chicken (and save about 30 minutes of prep time in the process).
You can also sub cauli rice for the brown rice if that’s your thing! Whatever you do, though, don’t skimp on the veggies. 🙂
Meal Prep Burrito Bowls
Yields: 4 bowls (1 serving = 1.5 cups)
Prep Time: 40 minutes
Click here for a printable PDF version of this recipe.
- 3 skinless boneless chicken breasts
- 3 bell peppers, sliced
- 1 large red onion, sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 jar salsa
- 3 cups brown rice, cooked
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can corn, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro
- Preheat oven to 400˚F/200˚C.
- Line a baking sheet with foil.
- Place the chicken, peppers, and onions onto the baking sheet and drizzle with oil.
- Sprinkle the taco seasoning evenly over both sides of the chicken breasts.
- Salt and pepper the peppers and onions, tossing to coat.
- Top each chicken breast with a generous pour of salsa.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 25 minutes.
- Rest chicken for 10 minutes, before slicing into strips.
- Add a base of brown rice to 4 food storage containers. Top each with a scoop of black beans, corn, additional salsa, cheddar cheese, cooked peppers and onions, and sliced chicken. Garnish with fresh cilantro and a lime wedge.
- Store in the refrigerator (and enjoy any extras immediately). Can be kept refrigerated for up to 4 days.
- Meal-prep FTW! Enjoy!
Per 1.5 cup serving: 520 calories, 14 grams fat, 53 grams carbohydrate, 10 grams fiber, 7 grams sugar, 46 grams protein, 1270 mg sodium.
Let me know what you think! And should you need more easy, healthy recipes, feel free to check out our easy one-dish recipes ebook here!